IPMA Level A® — Certified Projects Director
Entry requirement: Has at least 5 (five) years of experience in portfolio management and/or programme management with strategic relevance, of which 3 (three) years were in responsible leadership functions in the management of complex portfolios or programmes and has 2 (two) years of experience in managing projects (5=3+2).
�ore competence: Shall be able to manage complex portfolios or programmes
- Is responsible for the management of a complex portfolio of a company / organisation or a branch of the organisation, or for the management of one or more important programmes;
- Contributes to strategy and makes proposals to senior management. Develops project management personnel and coaches project managers to improve their competence in PM;
- Directs senior project managers and project managers and manages the members of the portfolio or programme team;
- Develops and implements project management requirements, culture, processes, methods, techniques, tools, handbooks, guidelines for his programme or portfolio;
The main criteria for the complexity of a portfolio or programme (IPMA Level A) are:
- Number, importance, variety and complexity of active projects in the programme or portfolio and number of project managers directed;
- Proposals to the overseeing body for decision and own decisions;
- Selection and development of project management requirements, processes, methods, techniques, tool, regulations and guidelines in the organisation;
- Influence on the selection, training and employment of project managers;
- Coordination of all projects of his portfolio or programme and ensuring compliance to strategy.
IPMA Level B® — Certified Senior Project Manager
Entry requirement: Has at least 5 (five) years of project management experience, of which 3 (three) years were in responsible leadership functions of complex projects.
Сore competence: Shall be able to manage complex projects:
- Is responsible for all project management aspects of a complex project and all project management competence elements.
- Has a general management role in a large project management team and leads managers of sub- projects.
- Uses adequate project management processes, methods, techniques and tools.
The complexity of the assessed projects is evaluated for the following ten criteria:
- Objectives, assessment of results;
- Interested parties, integration;
- Cultural and social context;
- Degree of innovation, general conditions;
- Project structure, demand for coordination;
- Project organisation;
- Leadership, teamwork, decisions;
- Resources, including finance;
- Risks and opportunities;
- Project management methods, tools and techniques.
IPMA Level C® — Certified Project Manager
Entry requirement: Has at least 3 (three) years of project management experience in responsible leadership functions of projects with limited complexity.
Core competence: Shall be able to manage projects with limited complexity, and / or to assist the manager of a complex project in all competence elements of project management:
- Is responsible for managing a project with limited complexity in all its aspects, or for managing a sub-project of a complex project;
- Applies common project management processes, methods, techniques and tools.
IPMA Level D® — Certified Project Management Associate
Entry requirement: Experience in the project management competence elements is not compulsory; but it is an advantage if the candidate already has applied his project management knowledge to some extent.
Core competence: Shall have the knowledge in all competence elements and be able to apply it:
- Can practice in any competence element. May work in some fields as a specialist;
- Works as a project team member or a member of the project management staff;
- Has broad project management knowledge and the ability to apply it.